As I reflect back on 2017, I have a lot to be grateful for. My life is filled with love, hope and a surge of happiness when I think about what we’ve accomplished, and what we have yet to explore, try and achieve in 2018.
My lessons learned for 2017 are long, and in fact it’s hard to discern what has been an accumulative a-ha from a lifetime of journeying versus a recent a-ha. So this may be a conglomeration of lessons!
10. Being smug is not a good feeling, no matter how right we are
9. Being right is not always a good sign. It probably means we are not pushing beyond being right OR we are not surrounding ourselves with those who challenge us enough.
8. If one year has taught us that there is good and bad in the world, it’s probably 2017. And so we need to realize that one person has the power to create change, AND it can be an everyday hero.
7. As humans we need to stop to look to others to rescue us. Be your own damned hero.
6. Our emotional pendulums consistently swing back and forth. When the pendulum is swinging in your favor, provide energy and support to those who need you.
5. Don’t give up on yourself. Life is full of downs. But while you’re in the trenches, look at the stars and realize that you will only be more resilient and… this too, shall pass.
4. Don’t give up on others. Even when things are not going your way, find out why and help those around you get where they need to go.
3. When you need validation, and you are looking for a dopamine hit, don’t rely on social media. Go exercise!
2. Hang out with other humans, devices off. S e r i o u s l y. This will still be my ongoing challenge.
1. Be a leader. Not a dictator! Having authority does not mean bossing others around (parents, that means you, too).
So, what now? I have just as messy and scary future ahead as the next person. So my challenge for 2018:
Empower myself. Don’t wait for permission from others. Be a hero for someone. Be as Superhuman as humanly possible.
It’s time for change.
Your mission to achieve Superhumanness: Empower you. First be human. Then be Superhuman. Embrace the messy and then empower yourself to be more than you’ve ever imagined.
Be kind along the journey and remember, you got this.